Thursday, April 19, 2007

Idiot kids, Bryan Ferry and Nazi architecture

Crap day, pretty much. I was "teacher in role" for a Year 7 drama lesson. I was the abbot of the monastery and they were the monks. Fairly amusing, but the kids were rowdy. Immediately after I had the same problem with Year 8, who had been great with me up until they realised they could be shit. Only about eight of them, but it's enough to make life difficult. Then, joy of joys, one of the weird Year 9 groups last thing. One of them told me I shouldn't be a teacher because my lessons are rubbish. I would agree, except that I had been asked to do some boring P.E.E. (point, evidence, explanation) work with them by the head of department. Tomorrow's lesson should be more fun.

Anyway, I've been reading Monday's Guardian, in which I was completing the sudoku puzzle (only on Medium and it still puzzled me). I can't believe Bryan Ferry calls his studio the Fuhrerbunker: he's a complete cretin. On that basis, it doesn't surprise me that he made favourable comments about the Nazi's design ethic. There are so many better ways of expressing such things: in fact, the Nazi posters aren't radical, they're completely of their time. Some of the British and Soviet posters are amazing from that period in time, which leads me to think that Ferry does actually have a soft spot for fascism.

I have a particular dislike of Nazi architecture. The former Luftwaffe headquarters in Berlin has an eery quality to it: it's so blocky and regular. It encapsulates a lot of what makes me shudder about the Nazis.

The plans for the insanely large Volkshalle would be hilarious if they weren't so grotesque: elements of classical architecture are stretched and enlarged to the point where the features can't possibly work on any scale. It was a hideous conception, and one of the ideas that clearly shows Hitler for the madman he was.

Bryan Ferry. What an idiot. Listening to Love is the Drug and Virginia Plain will never be the same again.

No comments: