Thursday, January 04, 2007

It's been a strange slightly anti-climactic start to the New Year. It was my 25th birthday yesterday, and I usually spend the day feeling miserable and wallowing because it's such a horrible time of year to be celebrating: you've already assessed the year previous and looked to the year ahead, everyone's skint, still hungover or ill or on holiday, it's dark and miserable outside, and it just generally stinks. This year, however, I've been too busy attending university sessions and stressing out about an assignment to much think about it, which has been a kind of unepected blessing. I went out for a meal last night, but it won't feel like my birthday until the weekend I think, by which time I can properly rela (certain keys aren't working on my keyboard after I spilt tea on it last week).

New Year's Eve was fun if bizarre. I spent it at Bungalows and Bears on Division St, formerly a crap bar, formerly a fire station. It's nice inside. Annabel found £20 on the floor and Rough Disco were DJing. Later the guy from The Rapture who hits the cowbell (I know) was DJing, but it was his DJ partner who played House of Jealous Lovers and made the crowd really dance and yell. Even better was when he played Rebellion by Arcade Fire: everyone was bellowing the words, shrieking "lies! lies!" and singing the violin part. It was great!

Oh well. A lesson to get sorted for tomorrow - my last at this school. I'm a bit troubled by the fact that my mentor seems in no hurry to complete my review and is showing no interest in me whatsoever, but hey.

No comments: