Monday, January 29, 2007

Welcome back, stress

A few days at a new school and my almost-tidy study area has become a ridiculous mess. I think it is true to say that this area is a reflection of my mind. My habit when I feel like this is to snuggle up inside a hoodie, with the hood up, and mope about the house, preferably supping a cup of tea and dunking biscuits. We have no biscuits and it is too late for tea.

Instead, I will pretend I don't have to plan starters and worry about fast-approaching commitments and application dead-lines, and give an account of my walk into town on Friday night.

There are days when things just seem slightly more unusual than you might expect.

It was dark, around 8pm and I had just reached the car park for the university sports centre. A car was parked by the kerb and I noticed a stocky man leaning forward in the driving seat with his head in his hands. He looked devastated. As I walked past I turned around to look through the windscreen and saw that there was a girl in the passenger seat, looking slightly distanced. She looked at me looking.

I crossed the road, and the floodlights for the all-weather pitches were on full-beam and all the birds were singing a dawn chorus. As I looked ahead, five teenager-sized people approached. The tallest was wearing a balaclava through which you could only see his eyes, but two smaller kids were wearing ski-masks in addition to balaclavas and you couldn't see their faces at all. Two twelve-year old boys were at the back of the group, unmasked, looking excited, enjoying themselves. I gave one of them a funny look.

No comments: