Saturday, December 16, 2006

X Factor Finale - a rant

God, what a farce. It made me feel physically sick to see how Simon Cowell's little cronies tried to whip up national hysteria with some big screens, a D-list celebrity and a live video link. And there were Leona and Ray (boring, boring people) thanking Simon Cowell for the opportunity he'd given them. Yup, you're gonna be thanking him through a giant hole in your wallet for the duration of your success, darling! What an awful man he is. All the people who vote: why do you do it? Why do you put money directly into the pocket of this terrible cretin who unleashes personality-less crap under the guise of "talent" onto our airwaves? (It's not even an original song for fuck's sake! It's by another of his acts, the failed-to-convert-UK-audience Kelly Clarkson.)

Who, after all, has won a TV talent show and endured? Only Girls Aloud. The rest of the bunch have merely shown that there aren't enough talented songwriters to keep them fresh and popular.

I can only hope Simon Cowell suffers a hilarious, seedy, fitting death along the lines of autoerotic asphyxiation.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't stand Cowell, but.....failed to convert UK audiences Kelly Clarkson?? She has sold well here, and had a sold out tour here in the UK this past February, so, I believe she has converted the UK. The girl has serious talent, far beyond Cowell, and his stupid talent/reality shows.

Jess said...

Thank you anonymous. I suppose I'm just a weekend Guardian reader, sometime Radio 1 listener (on the drive to/from work) and almost permanent watcher of BBC and C4 TV, so what do I know about popular culture? I don't read magazines or listen to commercial radio so I'm completely out of touch with the "UK audience" as a whole it seems.

I'm being sarcastic. If Kelly Clarkson was a major and beloved celebrity in the UK, even I would know about it.

Having a sell-out tour in no way proves someone has talent and isn't much of an indication of success and more than having a number one single.

It is your opinion that she is talented and it is mine that she is not.

I don't want to turn of anonymous commenting because it's not fair on people without websites or blogs, so could people please use their name? What've you got to hide?!

Jess said...

PS If Kelly Clarkson was really a hit in the UK, Cowell wouldn't have reused a song that she's already recorded and released.

Anonymous said...

Jess,my name is Kevin,I'm the "anonymous" poster above^^ nice to meet you. Kelly released that song (AMLT)in the States, not in the UK, Cowell is just trying to garner the same success Kelly had with it, with Leona. And, you can be as sarcastic as you want, but, the fact is, Kelly has made it in the UK, maybe not top artist over here, but, she's done well, and so has her cd "Breakaway". Look it up, I beleive it was one of the best selling cd's last year.

Jess said...

Hey Kevin. I'm not being belligerent, I swear! I really believe that if I did a survey tomorrow it would reveal that most people didn't give a rat's arse about KC. She's just the US version of our countless reality TV "stars".
You said it yourself: "maybe not a top artists, but, she's done well." That's all I ever meant. Apologies for the ambiguity.