Saturday, December 30, 2006

Mustering Enthusiasm

As best I can on a not-too-cold-but-certainly-very-dull Winter's day. I walked up and down our garden patch spotting the spring bulbs that are coming through. If they flower as they should then come Spring we'll have an array of daffodils, crocuses and tulips, and some other strange things that I sent off for from the Guardian but whose names were too obscure to remember.

I tried to find a hot water bottle for the cover I just finished knitting but failed to locate one. It put me in a bad mood, even though I'd just bought my Patrick Wolf ticket (hooray! Even though it's not until the end of February), and our New Year's Eve tickets. On the NYE tickets it says, "Fancy dress is encouraged", which I found bizarre. If you merely encourage fancy dress then nothing will come of it. In fact, even when you stipulate that fancy dress is obligatory, often half the party (males, usually) turn up in their usual clothes.

I love fancy dress, but I don't know enough other people who do to have a successful fancy dress party. I may well set up a Fancy Dress Society on Myspace and see if anyone joins.

Anyway, I'm going to get back to reading some more Agatha Christie. I picked up a Poirot mystery when I was home, and since then I'm on my fourth book. Next time there's National Book Writing Month I might try to write a murder mystery . . .

No comments: