Tuesday, February 19, 2008

World Events

We're living in strange times.

Kosovo declares independence. I would like to take this opportunity to say that I recognise Kosovo as an independent state and that the Russian and Chinese governments can go sulk in the corner. Not abiding by international law my arse!

Castro resigns. What's going to happen next? Do they have a whole array of mini-Communists ready to take over? Or is Cuba going to make friends (and trade deals) with Hillary/Barrack/John? Let's face it though: Castro is one of those people who is so associated with the 60s iconism (not a word, but I can't think what I mean), that it's almost nostalgic to realise he's still alive. Like Dylan, he should already be dead, in a way.

Musharraf admits defeat. An end to power-hungry dictatorships in Pakistan? I suppose a coalition government makes it difficult to be as corrupt, but it seems unlikely that this is the end of the trouble.

And in local news:

Mohamed Al Fayed calls Prince Phillip a "racist" and a "Nazi". Same old.

No comments: