Monday, February 25, 2008

Too much stuff

I'm in full-on declutter mode at the moment.

A work colleague revealed that he'd sold loads of his books from university on Amazon marketplace and ended up £300 richer. So I was been inspired, during my visit to Newcastle, to look at my bookcases and list all the plays, anthologies, classic novels etc that I'd probably never pick up again. Of the fifteen that I decided I could happily part with (some of which are monster-sized anthologies that will cost well over £2.75 to post), I've already sold three, so I'm hopeful I can get rid of a lot more crap from my bookshelves.

Some things, obviously, aren't worth listing. Some Shakespeare editions only get listed for 1p, and other popular contemporary novels ("The Unbearable Lightness of Being" - I'd keep stuff like that, but I didn't really rate it, if I'm honest) are better off in the local charity shop.

Speaking of which, there's a book recycling bank at Tesco that was full on Sunday. So, the intelligent declutterers had just piled their books on the top. While I was investigating to see if any more would fit in, Ian noticed a Hemingway novel he hadn't heard of or read, so he took it. Is this stealing or not? We regularly buy books from charity shops, as well as donating to them, but is it morally wrong to take a book exposed to the elements? Hmmm.

I'd have taken it too, obviously. Just another form of recycling.

No comments: