Sunday, February 17, 2008

How to make a imperfect quilt . . .

Ian was saying that long-term projects are good to have. This was in relation to my "quilt"-making, which I started on about Winter 2006 . . . I think, and which I'm hoping to complete this week. (I say "quilt", by the way, because the smallest pieces are actually 17 cm x 17 cm, so it's easily machinable, and not creating some intricate flowery pattern or anything of that kind.)

I understand what he means - it's nice to have a work in progress; something you can keep coming back to, rather than something which is two-days' work and then complete. Maybe the satisfaction over a long-term project is greater too.

But to me, creative pursuits can quickly turn into imagination-crippling, torturous tasks that I find boring to get on with. I'm lazy, I suppose. I like ideas, but once I start doing something and they don't live up to my mental image, I quickly begin something else and leave whatever it was incomplete, preferring to follow flitting flights of fancy rather than spend time problem-solving.

The frustrations of perfectionism or just laziness? Probably both. Anyway, I'm definitely not being a perfectionist over this quilt. It's full of flaws on the reverse side (as I'm sewing all the diagonals across the top), but I don't care. As some musician said about something or other, "You can't pay for mistakes like those."

If only I believed that and wasn't actually extremely irritated by all the mistakes . . .

Pictures soon.

No comments: