Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Day off, kinda

Thankfully, we had a day back at university today.

I got up at 8.45am , which meant two extra hours of sleep, and yet somehow I haven't felt the benefit.

Walking down Taptonville Road, through Broomhill and down the leafy environs of Collegiate Crescent was a very welcome change from the awful car journey to Meden. I love walking in Autumn, especially since, worringly, it isn't massively cold yet.

Despite this, I've been feeling quite low, and I got quite emotional at university when we were asked to discuss our experiences and catch up.

A girl called Jannine Buxton in Year 10 (aged 14/15) was killed on Friday night when two cars crashed on the busy A60, a mile or so from the school. She sat right at the front of the Media class I'm taking, and I spent quite a lot of time coaxing answers and work out of her during those lessons. She was a kid with the potential to be quite difficult (she was on "red report"), but she was lovely in that lesson. Her usual Media teacher (and my mentor) called her a "media monkey", just because she seemed to take to it. Because of that I gave her a credit on Thursday and handed in a postcard to be sent to her house. I know now that the postcard wouldn't have been received until after she was dead, so I have mixed feelings about the impact it might have had on her parent(s)/guardian.

I'm thinking about this because I have that Media class first thing tomorrow, and there'll be a big physical gap. I don't think she was particularly good friends with anyone else in that class, but I don't think that matters. They'll still feel, like I felt, that school's pretty stupid and pointless in the grand scheme of things. And you should feel invincible at 15 years old, not shocked into being horribly aware of your own fragile mortality.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear this Jess, sounds really tragic. Hope the lesson went ok. alex

Jess said...

The lesson was ok, but the class freaked me out by being so quiet and studious. I also assumed that their usual teacher would have removed Jannine's folder from their pile, but two girls saw it and carefully put it to one side, which was mature of them.

Random_Chick1 said...

I was friends with her, and go to Meden. Am now in the 6th form. I can see, like so many other people in her life, Jannine made an impact on you and Im glad you got the chance to meet her xx