Sunday, November 19, 2006

Autumn into Winter

I love it when it's cold, windy, wet and horrible outside when I'm warm, dry and inside.

Even if I am at my computer instead of relaxing.

For some reason my mentor at school has told her Year 10 (14/15-year-olds) Media class that the reason I'm taking over is because I'm "an expert". When it comes to Media, nothing could be further from the truth. I have no idea what all the different bits of a film poster are called past the title and the tagline. Teachers and their lies, eh?

Earlier in the week I got myself completely confused about what is and isn't a metaphor: is it just a replacement noun (something is something else), or can using a verb figuratively be a metaphor too? When I expressed my concerns to the head of department, she just told me, "They're Year 9, they aren't going to know any different."

For some reason, that really disturbed me. I hate the idea that one of those kids will remember my poor definition and will think back and say, "that student knew nothing."

But I can't be expected to know everything.

Certainly not media terminology.

No comments: