Friday, May 23, 2008

Oblique Strategy of the day

"Simply a matter of work."

This random strategy is extremely prescient.

After school yesterday I went to an Open Evening at Sheffield Hallam Union in order to find out more about their MA Writing course. To be honest, I didn't learn very much, because the admissions tutor doesn't actually teach anything and didn't know what the writers/teachers actually do, but still, it's definitely something I want to do.

Basically, I have to perfect my writing submission to gain entry to the course, and the admissions tutor advised me to join a writing group (but didn't have any recommendations, and to be honest, the quality of such groups is too variable for me to risk going along) or go on an Arvon course. I might sign up to one of Sheffield University's "Lifelong Learning" writing courses instead.

It's interesting that perceptions of writing are based on sparks of inspiration, bursts of creativity and excitement, when in actuality most creative processes really demand a lot of hard work.

Anyway, if you're interested in any of my non-creative writing, I've been posting music-related blogs up on Shovelled Up Like Muck. I've got my own column too, called "I Wish My Personal Life Was as Organised as This", where I basically list things and write about them. I'm currently working on "Top 10 Over-Exposed Guitar Bands", which is a paean against the Radio 1 playlists being dominated by nondescript indie guitar wank. I need a tenth band though . . .

No comments: