Monday, April 28, 2008

I do have happy times, honest

Today I was part of the boring coursework moderation process for the entire day. Some of my pretend marks were fine, but others were hilariously far out, so yet again I'm back to feeling insecure.

I also faced some weird doubts from two people about my idea to assess GCSE Macbeth coursework using oral interviews rather than getting the kids to write yet another damned essay - they're bored and I'm bored, so what have we got to lose? "Ooh, it'd be very difficult and might actually take up more time than marking essays." / "The moderation process is really strict and it's quite hard for them not to lose marks"/"you'd have to do them one by one and use your lunch hours because you can't have a class of 32 doing something else."/etc etc

(I realise this is all extremely boring, but I need to vent.)

To top a dull day off, I went to the work room after school, looking for the cover work I'd set, and one of the older members of staff told me (in an extremely nice way) that I shouldn't have told any of my students about inflation and the teachers' strike because it could be construed as being "political". Firstly, by telling them about pay-related issues I'm actually teaching a bit of "Citizenship"; secondly, they knew I was going on strike anyway, so therefore they also already knew about my politics!

Whatever I do, I'm going to get criticised for it . . . I'm beginning to realise this now. But seeing as I actually have a personality, I'm going to have to develop a tough skin and battle on regardless.

I was told on Saturday by a girl I'd not seen for years that I was too cool to be a teacher. Too individualistic, that's for sure.

No comments: