Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Anonymity and that

As a young teacher, I've been pretty careful to make all my internet profiles private: I know how easy it is to find people with just a crafty internet search. So for a month or so I've been reading and commenting on a blog by an "anonymous" screenwriter, but have easily worked out who he is because of information he's disclosed! I wonder if he's aware . . .

Anonymity's nice sometimes though. Last weekend me and Ian were at a friend's party in Manchester and I knew relatively few people there, but I really liked that. Sometimes Sheffield feels so small and incestuous, and I'm not even a socialite or scenester. Recently I've been yearning for a place that feels larger and more alive . . . But at least my students don't live in the same city as me, so there's something to be said for commuting to Chesterfield every day. Imagine having to keep the mask on outside of school hours - hell!

However, it has been going quite well so far. The only group I've had trouble with has been a Year 9 class, set five out of eight. They're not thick or anything; they just don't much like working.

I don't either, but I have to do some now . . . and switch on the heating (is anyone else freezing?)

PS. An American senator is suing God to make a point about litigation. How droll.

No comments: