Sunday, August 05, 2007

Cemetery Polka

Yesterday started off looking gloomy with the distinct possibility of rain, but at 4 o'clock it turned beautiful. This was extremely fortunate as we were making the long journey by foot to the General Cemetery for a birthday barbecue. That's right - a barbecue in a cemetery, right at the foot of the non-denominational chapel (now all breeze-blocked up and macabre-looking) which people more popularly call a mausoleum because that's what it looks like.

Anyway, it was a lot of fun and many of us played boule, which was all the more hilarious for playing down or up a slope, and more often rolling "into the rough". Fun times.

Today is even hotter, and I'm not sure if I can bear to go outside, but I think I will because being British (particularly a Northerner) means my default setting is to become obsessed over every bit of sun and squeeze all possible sun-burn out of the opportunity. (Not really: I'll just find a shady patch and read.)

PS. "Cemetery Polka" is a Tom Waits song.

No comments: