Sunday, November 04, 2007

Oblique Strategy of the day and unrelated thoughts

"Do we need holes?"

Good question, Brian. Usually I can bend an Oblique Strategy to fit anything in life, much like the way people read horoscopes, but this one is causing me problems. Maybe it should be "wholes" . . .

I'm sucking on Strepsils in the hope that my voice will return in time for school. It disappeared after I went to see Rolo Tomassi at the Casbah on Wednesday. They were on good form, surreally fancy-dressed in a tiger suit, monk's robe, a small dress, etc. In addition to her leopard print skirt-suit, the singer was wearing a mask which Pat thought was meant to be Toby Anstis, but I wasn't sure. Anyway, trying to have a conversation over the support bands has left me sounding like I have a forty-a-day habit. Hilariously though, the kids at school have only one frame of reference, and I heard two of my Year 10 boys muttering that I must have been to a Sheffield United or Sheffield Wednesday game (which is odd in itself, because they already know which teams I give a remote crap about, and it's neither of those).

Up until the smoking ban, I'd always assumed my morning-after gravelly tones were due to inhaling everyone's "social" smoke. Now I've realised it's purely from shouting over background music that's invariably too loud (forgive me if I sound old, but we all know it's true), so ironically, the smokers who stand outside the whole evening are probably better-off throat-wise that anyone else.

So last night was Rough Disko's third birthday, which unfortunately clashed with a free Crystal Castles gig and wasn't as full as otherwise. Still, DOTS were excellent as usual, and seem to have easily enough really good material for their first album.

The other band were Camp Actor, whose performance I ruined for Ian because I thought the singer looked like The Sandman (amazing animation: watch it):



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjgHbRrnjhU

No comments: