Friday, October 20, 2006

On Boredom: a Dramatic Monologue

[Directly to audience.] Halfway through and I can feel the sensation spread across what I believe to be my frontal lobe. Instantaneously, all thought-processing abilities shut down and my consciousness retreats back into the now vacant space of my mind, confused, lonely, bewildered, with only the perpetual drone of the dullest lecturer I've had the misfortune to hear providing any external stimulus.
[More desperate, neurotic.] I begin to feel acutely aware of the fragility of mortality.
It occurs to me that my existence is slowly receding as I sit, voluntarily, in submission to a very pointless experience.
The very inevitability of time passing suddenly takes on a desperate and painful association, and I know, in a flash, what that association is:

unbearableness.

[Flops back, overcome by the ineffable nature and intensity of boredom.]

No comments: